Saturday, January 6, 2018

What do you do with Sully while you school?



    Adding more children into the picture while schooling can sound real tricky but I don't think it has to be. I take it one day at a time. If Sully (age 2 and a half) needs more attention from me one day, thats fine. I'll hold him or make sure I spend a little extra time before we start school asking him about "bumblebeee" and "optimus prime" from transformers so he can get some mommy time first. We also take several breaks because we all benefit from them. One day I could see us getting it all done in the mornings but for now thats just not realistic. Plus even after you put the books up you will still find yourself doing educational things (write that down in your planner/journal!). Learn to be flexible and be willing to rearrange your day if you need to--with everything!

  Many times Sully joins right in with us on our school days. He might be sitting at the table eating a popsicle, "washing dishes", counting with us, listening to Pippa read to him (that makes my heart explode!) running around the room playing power rangers or pretending he's doing school too. Sure there are times when I do have to say "Sully we are gonna do a little learning right now so I need you to help us". He pretty much knows what the routine is now. Something making me laugh lately is that I find him telling Pippa what she needs to accomplish so she can be done and play. I do allow him some iPad time occasionaly while we do some of our schooling, just so we can maybe get a few things under our belt. I never want to neglect him though, so if he needs me, I will pause and help him. Now that Pippa can read pretty well, I for the most part can leave her with a worksheet and help both kids at the same time.



  At this stage I try and do as many things as I can with Pippa that I know he can join in on too. When it's warm, we take our learning outside to the picnic table or use sidewalk chalk to learn concepts. It sometimes takes some creativity but thats ok, we figure it out!
Recess! 

Quiet time with Jesus in the mornings. 

"my turn"

He actually gets excited to watch this math teacher...cracks me up.




He does still take a nap in the afternoon, so we usually use that time to catch up. 

Like I said, I take it one day at a time (with everything we do!). I haven't got it all figured out but I know the Lord is helping me and guiding me day to day to be the best mom and teacher to my kids. 

Amy 




No comments:

Post a Comment