Tuesday, January 2, 2018

What curriculum do you use?

    It's January and I believe 18 degrees outside right now here in Columbia, Tennessee and there doesn't seem to be much hope of warmth coming anytime soon. I use to really hate and dread winter but since we've started schooling I actually really love the fact that I don't have to bundle my kids up and get out every day. We can enjoy the comfort of coffee, our dining room table, the couch and sometimes my bed for our schooling. But I do know that all too soon we will get stir crazy and want to get out.



  When the weather does cooperate we go to a few of our favorite places. We enjoy two different libraries and what they have to offer, the local children's museum, playgrounds and ballet lessons. As we are out, I always meet other homeschool moms and it doesn't take long in the conversation for the question to be asked "what curriculum do you use?" It always great to hear what others are using and what they have found is working wonderful for their family. We use a lot of things in our schooling and hearing that word "a lot" use to overwhelm me when listening to moms before we began schooling. Now I understand. When you homeschool you find yourselves doing so many educational things because kids naturally want to learn and explore. I've already found myself several times thinking "how in the world are we googling this?" but we are learning and anytime we can make learning fun I'm all about it.



   As I've mentioned in my last post I do need a plan and something as a base for all of our learning. Oh and maybe you're like me and need to hear that I don't hate anything we are using. It's all working well! So it is possible to buy resources and they work just fine. Don't be overwhelmed by all thats out there. I just needed a Chris Peters and a Julie Hull to tell me here is what you need and they helped me find just the right tools.

When it comes to our schooling I stick to the basics of reading, writing, arithmetic. We use the "Bible" subject throughout our day and thats probably for another post about our daily routine.

Here are 5 of the tools we have used or are using and work great for Pippa and I.

1. Reading - Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

  With this book I've heard both sides. Either you love it or hate it. In this family it was loved! I started using this book last summer before we officially began K in the fall. She had just turned 5 in May and I felt like it was a good way to begin this pattern of "school" without throwing it all on her at once. We did it almost every single day (even weekends) so it wouldn't become negotiable. It worked out perfectly because at the end of this book we were about 2 months into schooling and she was reading so well. I will totally do this again with Sully.



  We used this book every day and it took about 15 minutes to complete each lesson. Some days were hard and there were almost tears but I encouraged her and we got through those tough days. Those tough days were worth it once she could read on her own!  There is nothing like teaching your child to read and seeing them become giddy about it. I mean pause-I taught my daughter to read! How cool is that?! I always had a candy jar with her favorite candy only for reading lessons. When she completed her lesson she could march over and get that piece of candy. I kept a chart handy and once we got 50 we went for ice cream and then at 100 she was able to pick out something at the store.



After we finished that book I transitioned her to these amish Pathway readers and workbooks that were suggested to me. I love them for their simplicity. If you go to find readers for a 5 year old you will find that it's very hard. These pathway readers have simple names like "Peter" and "Mother" instead of "Xenia" and "Cedric" etc found in disney and other common fun looking children's readers. These amish ones are straightforward, plain, black and white so she can focus.



2. Before we read
Grade 1 Pathway "Before We Read" Workbook
This workbook has lots of coloring, cutting, pasting and beginner reading exercises. My daughter loves crafting so this was perfect.

We are now into "First Steps". We use the workbook and reader. They have many more fabulous looking workbooks but I felt like these were sufficient for our needs.

Grade 1 Pathway "First Steps" Workbook


Image result for Handwriting without tears
3. Handwriting - Handwriting Without Tears 

I purchased the workbook, teacher book, wooden alphabet manipulatives, small chalk board and the large one with double lines for learning lowercase and the music cd. I felt like these foundational tools were worth the investment because I wanted my kids to be able to read and write really well.






I love how wide this workbook lays. There is plenty of room to write and color on the pages.




I made my own "mat man" using bottle caps, pipe cleaners and card stock that is mentioned in the beginning lessons.


    This book also comes with a license to use their online learning tools too that we pull up from time to time to keep things fresh. 

4. Math-Math U See

 Math U See Integer Blocks  I bought the manipulatives that you can use all the way up through highschool. 
Math-U-See Primer Universal Set   -



The blocks are great or sometimes"flipazoos" for equations. :) 

    These manipulatives are wonderful. Even Sully uses them! 
   I must admit, at first I was worried about the videos that came with this curriculum. There is a very dry math teacher that teaches a lesson on the dvd once a week. To my surprise both of my kids love this part of the week. Something about that man makes Pippa laugh and she pays attention the whole time. Maybe because it's someone different than me for a change! Either way, it works for us. 


We also occasionally do some work on time. I purchased the Judy Clock and workbook. I think this summer I will focus more on time with her. It will be better without all the other subjects pulling at as. Judy Clock
Image result for judy clock
5. Lastly we use Saxon Phonics
Saxon Phonics K, Home Study Kit   -
 This was the first thing I bought last spring. I don't know that you HAVE to have a phonics curriculum but I will say I think it's been great for Pippa. We decided to go through this since I already had this before we knew how great the Teach your child to read in 100 easy lesson would be. 



     
   We can go back through and review the technical parts of sounds and words because the first book I mentioned doesn't really explain vowels and consonants. Sometimes I think she is way beyond this basic phonics curriculum and then other times I think this is great because its review of all these concepts she basically learned in the super fast method the Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons book seems to use. Plus its kind of good that she can feel like she knows the answers fast. I can tell she feels super smart when we do phonics. 
  It also provides good skills like listening to directions and identifying. 


These are the foundations of our learning we do at the Howland home. Feel free to ask me specifics and I will do my best to answer. 

Blessings,

Amy 


















No comments:

Post a Comment