Monday, January 1, 2018

Stick with it.

Ok friends,

   When I first began researching our materials that we would use for Kindergarten I kept reading on many homeschool blogs that if their student didn't like a certain curriculum they would just try another and honestly that stressed me out. It felt like this homeschooling thing would be a try this and that and I was scared of all the things I would have to invest in or find so my child would "like" learning.  I have never thought of myself as an educator until now and I personally needed a plan that wouldn't change. Don't get me wrong I totally love the freedom of using what you want for your schooling and I'm sure we will have times where things are just not working for us as a family so we throw it out but you have to also keep in mind one piece of advice a mom in our church said to me and it helped me find a sense of stability. She told me that "you just have to decide we're gonna stick with it". I had not heard that yet but it reassured me that sometimes you just have to teach yourself and your child the discipline of doing a task even if it's not "fun".

    Every child is different and what motivates them is different. I can honestly say that all the things we have used and are using have been great. I sometimes feel like somethings wrong because my child is for the most part participating and eager to do our schooling.

    I do believe there is great reward in teaching your child the discipline of completing tasks even if you don't "feel" like it. I have also learned that I am very much a stick to the plan gal and that I have to recognize when it's time to bump the breaks and know when to let off or when to do a little extra. I tell myself constantly that there isn't anything to prove to anyone. As long as we are making progress and sometimes progress looks different than you might think, then I can feel good about that.



   When we first began schooling I thought we could "school" year round because why not? But as we've now made it half way through one year, I think I have seen that our family needs real true breaks. I need time to just be Pippa's mom not teacher. We took an entire week off for Thanksgiving and we are taking two weeks of Christmas break because I promised we would "if you complete the work".  She did! :) I really think a summer break would be great for us too. Sure we will still read and review concepts but everyone needs breaks to refresh.


  Since we as a family have begun this homeschool journey I have had several mom's ask me what curriculum and methods we use. I'd like to share about two things in this post just specifically for the moms. I first want to say that pretty much everything I use has been suggested to me from seasoned homeschool moms and I am so thankful for their guidance. Having a support team around you giving reassurance that "you got this" is the biggest blessing. So if you have said "you can do it" to me, thank you again and please keep saying it! I can now with a smile say that these first 5 months of schooling has been so enjoyable for me. Pippa is interested and loves our school days so I count that as a win. My favorite thing right now is all the reading we are doing in our pajamas on cold mornings curled up by the tree.

2 things that I love for moms that have decided to do this homeschool thing!

Teaching From Rest

I am not a reader... but I loved this book! I read it the summer before we started our official first day of K. I highlighted the junk out of it and I often return to it and it gives me the pep talk I sometimes need.

2 - The Well Planned Day  - This is my favorite thing ever...really.



My friend Julie that has now successfully homeschooled both of her children all the way through grade school suggested this wonderful spiril-bound planner. She said it was worth every penny and I have to say I'm sold now.  I will continue to splurge on this every year. This planner has brought more productivity to my life in general too. It has wonderful articles, quotes, shopping lists, Bible reading plan for each day, Christmas card lists, gift giving lists, field trip lists, budget sheets, attendance sheet, report cards and honestly its just so pretty and you need something pretty in your life if you're a stay at home mom!

I love to write in one weeks worth of plans (in pencil!) at a time (because your plans will have to change sometimes...ok a lot with a toddler in the picture too). Also anytime we do something that counts as school but it wasn't planned like library, crafts, baking, watching videos about animals, children's museum, playground, shopping trip- hey its math, creative play, coloring, painting etc I pencil that in! There's something about seeing a list of things we did that makes me feel better than if I have a set plan and we don't do everything exactly as planned.

That little check beside things feels so good!

I love the little tips and bible verses scattered throughout. 
There's room for everything in this planner. 


-

2 comments:

  1. You have a good handle on this thing they call education. There are things you just have to wade through, but I’ve found that creativity helps with this. When something doesn’t work, you take a different route to the same end. Using more than one learning style is always good and keeps everyone on their toes.

    You’re also wise to take a break periodically. Even year round public schools take an extended break at the end of each term.

    I had to smile when you said you wrote plans in pencil. That shows you have realistic expectations, and know how to pace yourself.

    We are all learners.....even into adulthood. Learning should be enjoyable, and that is what you’re making it be for Pippa. Good job, Amy!

    ReplyDelete